I’ve been making my own versions of oil-free vegan salad dressing for a long time, but somehow haven’t posted any recipes yet. Well, to be totally honest there are a few – Oil-Free White Bean Salad Dressing from 2014, Gluten-Free Vegan Chanterelle Gravy from last week, and Spicy Oil-Free Tomato Sauce from 2015.
Make sure to watch the tutorial video further down!
Anyway, there is still a lot more to share! So, here’s this week’s recipe – oil-free vegan salad dressing made of oven-roasted eggplant, zucchini and carrot. In addition, I used some other goodies such as turmeric, garlic, pepper, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and black salt. Believe me, it came out really delicious!
Furthermore, you can pour my oil-free vegan salad dressing on Buddha bowls or lettuce or steamed leafy greens and veggies. And there’s more to it! You can leave the dressing thicker and use it as low-fat and low GL bread/cracker spread. Hence, it’s a win-win!
Seems like I really got going with oil-free vegan salad dressing recipes! Therefore, I’m determined to make it a habit! In the next weeks (or months) I will guide you through the many possibilities of making delicious and satiating oil-free vegan salad dressings. As a result you will see that a dressing does not need to contain oil to be tasty and creamy. You’ll enjoy your salads without making them high-fat food, which they are, if you pour oil all over! Should you not believe me, take a look at the following examples:
- 3 cups of lettuce and 1 cup grated carrot – 9% of calories from fat.
- 3 cups of lettuce and 1 cup grated carrot + ½ tbsp. of olive oil – 52% of calories from fat.
- 3 cups of lettuce and 1 cup grated carrot + 1 tbsp. of olive oil – 69% of calories from fat.
Now, what do you think? I really hope that next time you’d think twice before pouring oil over your salad or adding it to any other meal 🙂
To conclude the long story, my oil-free vegan salad dressing is also gluten-free, sugar-free and Candida diet friendly.
Oil-Free Vegan Salad Dressing with Oven Roasted Veggies
Ingredients:about 10 servings
- 2 small or 1 normal eggplant (about 600g, 21oz)
- 2 medium or 1 big summer squash (about 600g, 21oz)
- 1 medium carrot (about 100g, 3.5oz)
- 8 tbsps. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- Juice of one medium lemon (or less or more)
- A few drops of stevia (optional)
- 1 tbsp. unsalted peanut butter (optional)
- Black salt and black pepper to taste
- Enough water for desired consistency (I ended up adding 2 ½ cups)
- First, slice the veggies, lay them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 200°C (390°F) for 40 minutes. Let cool a bit.
- Next, add all ingredients into blender. Use a masher to push the mass down and get the juices out of veggies. Process the ingredients until smooth. Add water gradually.
Nutritional info (1/10 of recipe): 47.8 kcal, 4.08g carbohydrates (57.9%), 1.21g fats (22.7%), 3.6g protein (30.1%), 3.12g fibre and 1.5 GL points.
Now, if you ditched peanut butter you’d only get 10% of calories from fat.
Tips on my oil-free vegan salad dressing:
- First, add this oil-free dressing to salads, Buddha bowls or steamed/cooked veggies.
- Another way to have this dressing is to leave it thicker and use as low fat and low GL bread spread.
- Now, should you still be on Candida cleanse, leave out nutritional yeast and substitute peanut butter with tahini, sunflower seed/almond or hazelnut butter.
- Use any nut or seeds butter or ditch it altogether for even leaner dressing.
- You are welcome to use more or less of the seasonings – just adjust it to your own liking.
- Finally, store leftovers in sealed containers or jars in fridge for up to 4 days.