This green lentil stew with tomatoes is a perfect flavourful and hearty go-to meal. Prepare it in a bigger batch and your lunches for the week are covered. You’ll only need 10 ingredients, one pot and 30 minutes of your time.
Lentil stews are my favourite thing for lunch lately. I like them very hearty, made of legumes and some veggies to give colour. I’ve learned that my stomach handles thick lunch much better than light one consisting mainly of veggies. The lunch leaves me full until the evening with no need to snack too soon, which would upset my digestion.
Usually I also add some chard or kale to my lentil stew, but I did not have any on hand, so I just garnished the meal with parsley at the end.
What I love about this green lentil stew:
- it makes a perfect lunch box fill
- so hearty and full of flavour
- Candida diet friendly (sub peanut butter of on cleanse)
Green Lentil Stew with Tomatoes
Ingredients:2 fair servings
- 160g (5.6oz) green lentils, soaked
- 1 bigger carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 small potatoes
- 1 tsp. garlic flakes
- 2 tsps. broth powder
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds, crushed
- 2 tsps. mustard seeds, crushed
- 1 tbsp. unsalted peanut butter (add later)
- 1 cup unsalted tomato puree (add later)
- Start by soaking lentils for 6-8 hours. Rinse and drain.
- Then, throw the ingredients (except peanut butter and tomato puree) into a medium pot. Add enough water to almost cover the ingredients. Bring to boil and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Now, add tomato puree and mix well. Bring to boil and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add extra water if necessary to make the stew more liquid.
- When the stew is done, mix in peanut butter. Make sure it’s well incorporated.
- Garnish with greens (onion, parsley, coriander) and nutritional yeast.
Tips on my green lentil stew:
- If you don’t like the taste of cumin seeds (I know that some people don’t), then just leave them out or substitute with caraway seeds, should you enjoy those.
- Use any lentils that you have in hand – red, brown, or green. Remember that red lentils are ready much quicker.
- If you do not have time to soak the lentils, make sure to wash them thoroughly and add more water while preparing.