These muffins are what my husband calls the ultimate in muffins. For the past 3 weeks I have only been baking this poppy seed muffins recipe. We have them with our coffee as second breakfast and as dessert after dinner.
These plant-based peanut butter-persimmon-poppy seed muffins with chocolate buttons are a great addition to your dessert menu.
Besides being plant-based, these muffins are also gluten-free and sugar-free.
Finally, please let me know in the comments below if you have any questions about my poppy seed muffins. Please tag me in social media whenever you try one of my recipes! I’d love to see your creations! Instagram @thenutriplanet and Facebook @nutriplanet.health.hubPrint
These muffins are what my husband calls the ultimate in muffins. For the past 3 weeks I have only been baking this poppy seed muffin recipe. We have them with our coffee as second breakfast and as dessert after dinner.
- In a small bowl, cover the chopped dates with 230ml water or plant-based milk and let soak for about 30 minutes.
- In a big bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Place the dates with the soak water, banana, peanut butter, salt, and persimmon into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add this wet mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients, and mix until all the dry ingredients have disappeared.
- Add chocolate buttons and mix well.
- Spoon the batter into a silicone muffin pan or parchment muffin papers in a metal pan. This recipe makes 15 big muffins.
- Heat oven to 350 F (175 C). Bake for 30-35 minutes. The muffins will be done when cracks appear. Let cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before removing.
- Method: Baking
Keywords: poppy seed muffins
Tips for my poppy seed muffins:
- Make leaner muffins by ditching the chocolate buttons. Add two more tbsp of peanut butter.
- You could replace one tbsp of peanut butter with tahini or with whatever nut butter you have in hand – I do that sometimes and the result is delicious as well.
- You might want to use 3-4 dates more, if you use unsweetened plant-based milk and bitter chocolate buttons or regular dark chocolate. My buttons were very sweet, which is why 5 dates did fine job.
Nele Liivlaid: founder of Nutriplanet.org She has been into healthy eating for many years, but developed a more profound interest in nutrition and related diseases when she started reading The China Study and other special books on nutrition. After being in real estate and hospitality business for more than 10 years she decided to totally change her path to spread the word about healthy and sustainable nutrition and lifestyle.