Do you know what asthma is or have you ever seen anyone who has been diagnosed as asthmatic? There are lot of questions that come into mind regarding asthma. Asthma has dreadful effects on human beings. People of all age groups (children, adult and aged) are affected by this disease.
Asthma is a respiratory disease caused by the narrowing, swelling and inflammation of airways. Symptoms associated with asthma are difficulty in breathing, congestion in chest, coughing and wheezing.
There are various factors which trigger the asthma problems like common cold, air pollution such as smoke, heavy emotional stress and preservatives added in beverages and foods. There are some medicines such as ibuprofen, naproxen and aspirin that can also cause asthma.
Top 10 Herbs To Treat Asthma
We are going to discuss some herbs, which have excellent properties to treat asthma. It has been found that allopathic medicines have severe side effects on health, whereas ayurveda triggers good health without any side effects. In ayurveda, it is believed that there are three energies – vata, pitta and kapha, which are liable for a healthy body. Imbalance in any of these three energies results in a disease.
List of herbs that are beneficial for treatment of asthma:
- HARIDRA (Curcuma longa) – Haridra is the spice used in Indian kitchen commonly known as haldi. It is quite effective in the treatment of asthma. Hraidra is beneficial to provide relief in bronchi congestion. One can get rid of the problem of bronchi congestion by consuming one teaspoon of haridra with half teaspoon of honey. It has been found that curcumin helps to increase the levels of antibody IgG and reduce hypersensitivity. A mixture of haridra with ghee and black pepper when applied on chest and throat, gives relief in bronchi irritation.
- NEEM (Azadirachta indica) – In ayurveda it is believed that neem has excellent properties to treat various inflammations and allergies. Taking few drops of neem for a specific period of time is quite effective for treatment of asthma. It is also useful in case of cough, breathing and phlegm.
- TYLOPHORA (Tylophora asthmatica) – It has been found that tylophora has wonderful properties in providing relief to asthmatic patients. It is useful to increase the lungs efficacy for oxygen intake and decrease the breath shortness at night. Chewing tylophora leaves provides pleasing results in patients who are suffering from asthma.
- GINGER (Zingiber officinale) – In ayurveda ginger has great importance in treatment of asthma. By boiling one teaspoon of ground ginger in one cup of water is beneficial to treat asthma and clear the airways. Ginger contains compounds like shogaols, Zingerones and gingerols, which have antioxidant properties that is good for treatment of asthma.
- TULSI (Ocimum sanctum) – In India tulsi is considered as holy herb. This herb is quite effective for the treatment of all respiratory disorders. It is effective in providing relief to patients who are suffering from asthma. It is useful to reduce inflammation, swelling and narrowing of airways in case of asthma.
- VASAKA (Adhatoda vasica) – This herb shows excellent results in severe cases of asthma. It is useful to improve bronchial functions and maintain proper lungs’ function with increased intake of oxygen.
- HYSSOP ( Hyssopus officinalis) – In ayurveda this plant has great importance to provide relief in case of asthma. Hyssop has anti-inflammatory properties, which are quite effective to improve functions of lung tissues. It is effective against respiratory complications like phlegm, bronchitis and lung issues.
- GINKGO (Gingko biloba) – It has been found that ginkgo helps to treat asthmatic attacks caused by allergens. Consuming gingko helps to reduce hypersensitivity problems associated with asthma. This medicinal plant is packed with anti-inflammatory and antihistamine properties too.
- Mulhathi (Glycyrrhiza glabra) – In ayurveda it is believed that mulhathi is packed with wonderful properties, which are beneficial to treat asthma. It helps to clear airways and provide relief in asthmatic attacks. Mulhathi does not only help to reduce inflammation, but also boost up lung cells for antigen stimulation.
- Garlic (Allium sativum) – Garlic is most commonly used in Indian cuisine. It is quite effective for treatment of asthma because it has anti-inflammatory properties, which provide relief in lungs’ congestion. It is also packed with antimicrobial properties, that help to trigger immunity and fight against infections, which can cause asthma. By consuming two raw cloves every day helps to improve immunity, which reduces the chances of asthma.
Author Bio: DR. Vikram Chauhan, MD – AYURVEDA is an expert Ayurvedic practitioner based in Chandigarh, India and doing his practice in Mohali, India. He is spreading the knowledge of Ayurveda Ancient healing treatment, not only in India but also abroad. He is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Products, Planet Ayurveda Clinic and Krishna Herbal Company. Read More at: http://www.planetayurveda.com