This healthy gluten-free vegan carrot cake absolutely blew my mind with its lemony cream cheese frosting and cranberries hidden inside. Despite its fancy facade, my carrot cake recipe is pretty easy, requiring only 10 ingredients (not counting salt, sweetener, baking powder and optional ingredients), 2 bowls, a spoon and baking tin to make.
- 75g (2.6oz) oat flour
- 75g (2.6oz) coconut flour
- ½ tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ginger
- 2 tsps. aluminium free baking powder (ditch for Plantricious version)
- 1½ tbsps. ground chia seeds + 5 tbsps. water
- 100g (3.4oz) additive-free nut or seed butter
- 6½ tbsps. birch xylitol (or date sugar for Plantricious version, see more sub info in tips)
- 130g (4.6oz) unsweetened applesauce
- 130g (4.6oz) plain plant milk (see tips)
- 80g (2.8oz) finely grated carrot
- ¼ cup of fresh or frozen cranberries (optional)
- Start by mixing together ground chia seeds and water. Next, take nut or seed butter at room temperature and mix it into the chia eggs. Add also the other wet ingredients and mix until you have a smooth blend. You may also use regular or immersion blender.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients. Then, pour in the wet mixture and stir until you have a homogeneous batter. You may also use food processor.
- Next, finely grate the carrot and mix it into the batter along with cranberries.
- Line the bottom of a cake pan with parchment paper and grease the sides with coconut oil or avocado oil. Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F) and bake the carrot cake for about an hour. It’s ready when toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. The smaller the cake pan you use, the longer it’ll take to bake. I used 15cm (5.9inch) round cake tin (my cake came out 4 cm, 1.6 inches thick) and baked it for an hour and 10 minutes. Let cool before slicing.
One slice = 5.6 GL points.
Nutritional info for Plantricious version (⅛ of cake without frosting): 213 kcal, 21g carbohydrates (53.6% of kcal), 9.44g fats (40% of kcal), 7.22g protein (13.6% of kcal), 7.4g fibre, and 91.4mg sodium.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: ⅛ of cake without frosting
- Calories: 202 kcal
- Sodium: 171mg
- Fat: 9.29g
- Carbohydrates: 18.9g
- Fiber: 7.49g
- Protein: 7.05g
Keywords: carrot cake