Learn how to make a healthy gluten-free vegan pumpkin pie recipe without crust. This pie is light and lean, therefore suitable for weekday indulgence. However, it can also be the main dessert on your vegan Thanksgiving table.
- 425g (15oz) steamed pumpkin
- 290g (10.2oz) oat milk
- ½ tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 7 Medjool dates (135g, 4.8oz), pitted
- 50g (1.8oz) peanut butter
- Start by cutting raw pumpkin into cubes and steaming them for 10 minutes.
- Next, in a small bowl, mix oat milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit for a few minutes.
- Then, using a regular or an immersion blender, process steamed pumpkin, oat sour milk, pitted Medjool dates, and peanut butter until smooth.
- Now, in a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients – oat and buckwheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, and poppy seeds.
- Pour the wet mixture onto the dry ingredients and combine well until you have a homogeneous batter. Don’t worry, it’s supposed to be quite moist.
- As a next step, line a 23x23x6cm baking dish with parchment paper. Alternatively, grease the pan using olive, coconut, or avocado oil.
- Ladle the pie batter into the dish and spread out evenly using a spoon or a spatula.
- Finally, bake at 175°C (350°F) for 35 minutes and let cool completely before attempting to slice it.
One serving of this pumpkin pie has the glycemic load of about 13.
Store in a sealable container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You may use any pumpkin variety e.g., regular pumpkin, butternut squash, or Hokkaido pumpkin (also known as pie pumpkin). I used butternut squash in this recipe.
Feel free to substitute any additive-free plant milk for oat milk.
Instead of cinnamon and ginger you may use a teaspoon of pumpkin spice mix instead.
You can either eat the pie as is or spread something yummy on top of it. For example, homemade applesauce, strawberry sauce, plant-based vanilla yogurt, healthy lemon custard, healthy chocolate frosting, or my heathy caramel sauce.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Oven
- Serving Size: 1/9 of the recipe
- Calories: 176 kcal
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 16.23mg
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrates: 25.6g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 4.9g
Keywords: pumpkin, pie