Learn how to make light and fluffy vegan pound cake with delicious lemon custard cream. You’ll need only wholesome ingredients, 15 minutes of your time, 2 small and one large bowl, a regular or immersion blender, and a loaf pan.
- 150g (5.3oz or ½ cup + 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp.) peanut butter
- 150g (5.3oz or ½ cup + 2 tbsps.) applesauce
- 160g (5.6oz or ½ cup + 2½ tbsps.) oat milk
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp. erythritol (date sugar for Plantricious version)
- 3 tbsps. ground flaxseeds + 6 tbsps. water
- Start by combining 3 tbsps. of ground flaxseeds with 6 tbsps. of water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Then, in a small bowl, prepare vegan buttermilk by combining oat milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients for the dry mixture.
- Then, pour all the wet mixture ingredients (along with the flax eggs and vegan buttermilk) into a blender or a beaker and process until smooth.
- Now, pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry and mix well with spatula until everything is well incorporated. Alternatively, you can prepare the wet mixture in a medium bowl as well. However, make sure your peanut butter is at room temperature. First, mix nut butter, applesauce, and flax eggs. Then add date sugar and finally vegan buttermilk.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared loaf pan or tin (lined with parchment paper, about 25x9cm, 8.5×4.4inch) and bake at 175°C (350°F) for 60-65 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean or almost clean. Remove from oven and lift the bread out of the tin. Place it to cool on a cooling rack (wire rack) or on folded kitchen paper on a chopping board.
- Let the pound cake cool completely before slicing or it’d deflate and end up being less fluffy.
- Serve with my healthy lemon custard cream, applesauce, vanilla yogurt, or plant-based ice cream.
When baking, always prefer weight over volume measurements, especially when it comes to dry ingredients.
In theory, you could substitute almond meal for defatted almond flour.
You can use 4 tablespoons of freshly grated orange or lemon zest instead of powders.
Any plant milk will do well in this recipe – soymilk, almond milk, cashew milk, hazelnut milk, hemp milk, walnut milk, millet milk, quinoa milk, rice milk, buckwheat milk etc.
Feel free to use lemon juice instead of apple cider vinegar.
Nutritional info for Plantricious version (1 slice, with date sugar and baking powder): 125.6 kcal, 10.6g carbohydrates (33.8% of kcal), 6g fats (43% of kcal), 1g saturated fats, 5.7g protein (18% of kcal), 3.1g fibre, and 61.8mg sodium.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 65
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Oven
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 105 kcal
- Sodium: 123.8mg
- Fat: 5.9g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrates: 5.8g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 5.6g
Keywords: pound cake, vegan baking