Learn how to make a no cook healthy gluten-free vegan lemon custard aka pastry cream. Besides, it’s oil-free as well as low-fat and takes under 10 minutes to make.
- 180g (6.3oz or ½ pack Mori-Nu) silken tofu
- 1 can (240g, 8.5oz) cooked unsalted chickpeas
- 1 slice of fresh lemon with rind (pith removed)
- 150g (5.3oz) unsweetened oat milk
- 4 tbsps. erythritol (date sugar for Plantricious version)
- Start by rinsing and draining the chickpeas well.
- Then, cut a slice of lemon and remove any seeds and the pith (the white part between the rind and flesh) as much as you can.
- Now, add all the ingredients into a blender or a beaker and process until you have a smooth custard cream.
Feel free to use any plant-based milk instead of oat milk. For example, almond milk, soymilk, hazelnut milk etc.
If you need a thicker cream, feel free to add less plant-milk.
Regulate the amount of sweetener according to your taste i.e., add more or less of it.
You may use any sweetener you like e.g., xylitol, coconut sugar, date paste, maple syrup etc. In case you’re on Candida diet or are looking for a low glycemic option, choose erythritol or xylitol.
Optionally add a pinch of turmeric for beautiful yellow hue and some vanilla extract.
Nutritional info for 1/5 of the recipe with date sugar (roughly ½ cup): 152 kcal, 21.5g carbohydrates (56.6% of kcal), 2.7g fats (16% of kcal), 0.5g saturated fats, 6.8g protein (18% of kcal), 4.2g fibre, 9.5g sugars, and 18.7mg sodium.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Blender
- Serving Size: 1/5 of recipe
- Calories: 115 kcal
- Sugar: 2.9g
- Sodium: 18.7mg
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Protein: 6.6g
Keywords: low fat, vegan custard, pastry cream, silken tofu