Super easy vegan basil cashew pesto recipe that only requires 10 minutes of your time. This is a great recipe for anyone who loves aromatic pesto with pasta, salad or slice of bread.
- 1 cup (135g, 4.8oz) raw cashews, soak
- 3 tbsps. lemon juice
- 3 cups (750ml) loosely packed fresh basil (30g, 1.06oz)
- 175g (6.2oz) filtered water
- 2 tbsps. nutritional yeast
- Start by soaking cashews for 2 hours. Discard the soaking water and rinse. For quick soaking, pour hot water over cashews and let soak for 15 minutes. The soaked cashews will weigh about 160g (5.6oz).
- Next, add 3 cups of loosely packed fresh basil leaves into a beaker or blender. Pour in also soaked cashews, lemon juice, water and nutritional yeast. Blend or process the mixture with immersion blender until you’ve got smooth consistency.
- For pesto pasta salad, boil preferred pasta according to instructions on the package. Then drain and rinse with cold water. Next, pour the cooked pasta back into pot and mix in the basil pesto. Add also some arugula, chickpeas and cherry tomatoes or sun dried tomatoes. Sprinkle on some extra nutritional yeast for cheesy flavour and enjoy!
You may add Himalayan salt or sea salt if needed (max ⅛ tsp. per serving for Plantricious version).
Store the leftover pesto in sealed container in fridge for up to 4 days. If you’re concerned about oxidation, you may pour a thin layer of olive oil on top of your pesto and scrub it off later. However, in my experience lemon juice included in the recipe does a fine job by itself.
For longer keeping, pour the pesto into ice cube trays and freeze.
You may use this basil cashew pesto as salad dressing, dipping sauce, pasta sauce or even spread it on a slice of bread or cracker.
Should you still be in the cleanse phase of your Candida diet, feel free to use sunflower seeds instead of cashews. Measure the same weight. Also, you might want to add a few drops of liquid stevia, as sunflower seeds are not sweet per se.
I don’t recommend using food processor, as you’d not get as creamy result.
Nutritional info per serving with 50g (dry weight) of whole grain pasta (a bit less than a cup cooked pasta), 5 cherry tomatoes, ¼ cup cooked chickpeas and a handful of arugula: 414.5 kcal, 56.2g carbohydrates, 6.4g sugars, 13.6g fats, 2.3g saturated fats, 15.4g protein, 6.4g fibre, 14.6mg sodium.
- Prep Time: 10
- Category: Side
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1/5 of recipe
- Calories: 163.3
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Sodium: 6mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrates: 8.3g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 6.7g