This 8-ingredient vegan chickpea curry with tomatoes is the ultimate 30-minute comfort food that will make your meals complete. Besides being quick and easy to prepare, it is also gluten-free and dairy-free, making my curry a great recipe for those with dietary restrictions.
- 2 small onions (or one bigger one)
- 8 thin ginger slices (4g, 0.14oz)
- 2 small carrots or 1 bigger one
- 4 smaller garlic cloves (or 2 big ones)
- 2 tsps. Indian spice mix
- 2 tsps. turmeric
- 690g (24oz) additive-free tomato puree
- ½ cup (120g, 4.2oz) 18% coconut milk
- 2 cans unsalted chickpeas aka garbanzo beans, rinse and drain
- ¾ tsp. Himalayan salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Brown rice or whole grain pasta
- Fresh coriander and/or parsley
- Sesame seeds
- Lemon or lime juice
- Start by making a batch of Indian Spice Mix (if you don’t have it ready). Alternatively replace the spice mix and turmeric with any preferred curry powder or garam masala mix.
- Then, finely dice onion and chop up carrot and ginger.
- Next, heat up a few tablespoons of water or broth in a skillet or large pan. After that, add the onions, carrot and ginger. Sauté the veggies with the lid on until softened, about 3 minutes stirring every now and then.
- Now, throw in crushed garlic cloves, the spice mix and turmeric (or ready curry powder), stir and cook for a few minutes. Add a few splashes of water as necessary.
- Then, pour in tomato puree, mix and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Finally, add coconut milk and chickpeas. Bring to boil and turn off the heat. Season with black pepper and Himalayan salt. For a more mushy result, take potato masher or fork and mash the chickpeas until the curry has thickened to desired consistency.
One serving has 16 GL points.
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Method: Sauté
- Serving Size: One serving
- Calories: 320 kcal
- Sodium: 259mg
- Fat: 8.42g
- Carbohydrates: 40.4g
- Fiber: 12.8g
- Protein: 14.4g
Keywords: vegan chickpea curry