Here’s absolutely delicious gluten-free vegan gingerbread cake recipe – right on spot for the holiday season. It’s an easy sugar-free no molasses gingerbread cake suitable for those on low glycemic or Candida diet.
- 1 can (240g, 8.5oz) chickpeas (with no added salt)
- 75g (2.6oz) additive-free tahini (sesame seed butter)
- ½ cup (120g, 4.2oz) almond milk
- 4–5 tbsps. birch xylitol [see tip under Frosting, use date sugar for Plantricious version]
- 3 tbsps. (25g, 0.9oz) almond flour [reduced fat aka protein powder]
- 2 tbsps. ground chia seeds
- 3 tbsps. (26g, 0.9oz) carob powder
- 1 tbsp. (6g, 0.2oz) cocoa powder
- 3 tsps. (5g, 0.2oz) gingerbread spice mix [click for recipe]
- 3–4 tbsps. (23-30g, 0.8-1.06oz) oat flour [see tips]
- 2 tsps. aluminium free baking powder (ditch for Plantricious version)
- ½ tsp. Himalayan salt
- First, make the wet mixture: rinse and drain chickpeas well and blend them with tahini, almond milk and xylitol into homogeneous batter. Set aside.
- Then, in a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients and pour the wet mixture over. Mix with spatula until you have homogeneous batter. Let it sit for 10 minutes (it’ll thicken as the chia seeds absorb liquid).
- Next, line the bottom of a cake pan with parchment paper and grease the sides with coconut oil or avocado oil.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F) and bake the gingerbread cake for 45-50 minutes. It’s ready when toothpick inserted into the cake comes out almost clean. The smaller the cake pan, the longer it’ll take. I used 15cm (5.9inch) round cake tin and baked it for 50 minutes on the lower rack (my cake was 2.5cm, 1inch thick). You may also use loaf pan for gingerbread loaf. Let the cake cool before slicing and/or frosting.
One cake has 6.2 GL points.
Nutritional info using 4 tbsps. of date sugar and 3 tbsps. of oat flour (⅛ of cake without frosting): 174 kcal, 14.6g carbohydrates (50.5% of kcal), 7.95g fats (41.2% of kcal), 7.47g protein (17.2% of kcal), 6.85g fibre, and 79.4mg sodium.
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: ⅛ of cake using 4 tbsps. of xylitol and 3 tbsps of oat flour
- Calories: 169 kcal
- Sodium: 127 mg
- Fat: 7.87g
- Carbohydrates: 13.8g
- Fiber: 6.92g
- Protein: 7.4g
Keywords: gingerbread cake