Let me show you how to make peanut butter cups with dark chocolate using wholesome ingredients. You’ll find them irresistible as the peanut butter filling is perfectly sweet, salted and caramelly at the same time. Take out the 9 ingredients (+ salt and sweetener), a few bowls and spoons and make your afternoon tea something to look forward to.
Make ¼ of my Chickpea Cookie Dough (with cocoa or without)
PEANUT BUTTER CARAMEL LAYER
- 70g (2.5oz) additive-free peanut butter
- ¼ tsp. Himalayan salt
- ⅛ tsp. vanilla
- ½ tbsp. mesquite powder
- ½ tbsp. almond flour
- 20 liquid stevia drops (or 1.5 tbsps. date sugar for Plantricious version)
- First, have all your nut butters at room temperature.
- Once you have prepared the cookie dough, take muffin tin and fill the holes with cupcake liners or silicone muffin moulds. Divide the base batter evenly between 6 cups and press it down with your fingers. Bake them at 180°C (355°F) for 20 minutes.
- While the cookie dough is baking, in a small bowl mix together the peanut butter layer ingredients. Use a small spoon or spatula for mixing. Divide it evenly between the cups placing it onto the baked base layer. Don’t spread it until the edges though to let the melted chocolate do its magic later.
- For the chocolate layer, chop your cocoa liquor or dark chocolate, measure coconut puree and peanut butter and place them into a heatproof bowl. Next, bring water to simmer in your saucepan. Then, turn off the heat. Now, set the heatproof bowl in the mouth of the pot, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the bottom of the saucepan. Stir coconut puree, chocolate and peanut butter mass as it softens. Make sure not to let even a drop of water to come in contact with your cocoa mass. You can also use a double boiler or a water bath melt dish, if you have one. Once you have a nice runny mass, remove the bowl from heat and whisk in salt and sweetener. You can also do this while the base is baking.
- Pour the melted chocolate on top of your peanut butter cups.
- Refrigerate for about 1.5-2 hours until your chocolate peanut butter cups are firm.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: Chill time 1.5 hours
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 258
- Sodium: 107mg
- Fat: 17.9g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 7.27g
- Protein: 9.67g
Keywords: chocolate peanut butter cups