This quick and easy delicious gluten free vegan mung bean breakfast porridge is like having a chocolate pudding for breakfast. It’s perfect if you’re looking for vegan grain free breakfast recipes other than tofu scramble or chickpea omelette.
- 1 cup cooked mung bean sprouts or ¾ cup cooked mung beans (140g, 4.9oz)
- 180g (6.3oz) unsweetened plant milk or a mixture of milk and water
- 2 tbsps. (14g, 0.5oz) coconut flour
- 1½ tbsps. (11g, 0.4oz) carob powder
- 2 tsps. (3g, 0.1oz) cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. (7g, 0.2oz) baobab powder
- Birch Xylitol to taste
- ⅛ tsp. of Himalayan salt
- ½ cup (122g, 4oz) unsweetened applesauce (add later)
- Cocoa nibs and frozen or fresh berries (to garnish, optional)
- You can buy sprouted mung beans from supermarket and boil them until soft (about 20 minutes) and then drain. Read how to sprout mung beans at home further down.
- Then, add all ingredients into blender or a beaker of immersion blender and process until smooth.
- Finally, create layers with applesauce and garnish with some cocoa nibs and fresh or frozen berries of choice.
One serving has 16.5 GL points.
I made calculations with sprouted and cooked mung beans, 90 grams water + 90 grams of oat milk, and 1 tbsp. (13g, 0.46oz) of xylitol.
If you make the recipe with regular cooked mung beans, the GL points would be 21.3. Therefore, if you have sensitive blood sugar, use about 30 grams (1.06oz) less cooked mung beans.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Method: Blending
- Serving Size: 1 serving (doesn't include toppings)
- Calories: 288 kcal
- Fat: 4.1g
- Carbohydrates: 44.9g
- Fiber: 19.7g
- Protein: 8.4g
Keywords: mung beans, breakfast porridge