Since I made my Cheesy Veggie-Lentil-Tomato Casserole, it has become our family’s favourite dish. I diversified the recipe a bit and instead of having legumes inside the pie I served soft hummus with the casserole.
- Tomato sauce
- 1 summer squash
- 1 eggplant
- 1 sweet potato
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Vegan parmesan (recipe below)
- Prepare the tomato sauce (follow link for recipe). This casserole recipe will use 1/3 of the quantity. I advise you to make the whole batch and store in fridge for later use.
- Cut the summer squash and eggplant into 1-cm thick slices. Take a bigger sieve and put one layer of the slices in the bottom. Sprinkle some salt on the top and do another layer, again sprinkle some salt and continue until the veggies are finished. Let it sit for at least an hour. The salt makes the veggies sweat.
- Cut sweet potato into thin slices.
- For Vegan Parmesan, take 3 handfuls of cashew nuts, 4 tbsps nutritional yeast and sea salt to taste. Process in a grinder or blender and it’s ready.
- Dry the veggie slices with kitchen paper and roast on a pan on both sides. Put the roasted slices on a separate plate.
- And now the fun begins – start compiling the casserole:
- 1st layer: about 5tbsp of tomato sauce on the bottom of casserole dish. Spread it evenly.
- 2nd layer: sweet potato slices
- 3rd layer: a thin layer of tomato sauce
- 4th layer: sprinkle vegan Parmesan
- 5th layer: roasted veggie slices
- 6th layer: ½ of the remaining tomato sauce
- 7th layer: vegan Parmesan
- 8th layer: the remaining veggie slices on the sides and sweet potato slices in the middle. Put two layers of potatoes with some tomato sauce in between.
- 9th layer: the remaining tomato sauce
- 10th layer: the remaining vegan Parmesan
- 11th layer: the remaining sweet potato slices
- Bake in 190 C (375 F) oven for 45 minutes. Let cool for at least half an hour (an hour is better) before you try to slice it. The casserole is especially good on next day.
- Process all ingredients in a blender.
- Serve a piece of casserole and soft hummus on same plate. You may garnish with fresh basil or parsley.
- Method: Baking
Keywords: cheesy veggie