Here’s a vegan mozzarella cheese recipe that is oil-free and gluten-free yet so creamy, soft and tasty. No need to cook or bake anything – simply throw all ingredients into blender and you’re done.
Soaking time: 1-2 hours
Chill time: 1 hour
- Soak cashews in water for 1-2 hours. Alternatively, pour boiling water or hot water over the nuts and soak for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse.
- Mix psyllium husks and water and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Next, add the soaked cashews, psyllium and water mixture with the rest of the ingredients (soy yoghurt, salt and lemon juice) into a high-speed blender or small food processor and process until completely smooth.
- Now, you can put the cheese mass into one small bowl, cover with lid or plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour. For mozzarella balls, wrap a ball of desired size into cling film or cheese cloth, shape a ball with your hands and fix with a ribbon or rubber band. Put the wrapped balls into a container and refrigerate.
You can substitute psyllium husk powder for whole psyllium husks. Use 12 grams in total, i.e. 4 level teaspoons.
There is 130 grams of cashews in a cup and 3 grams in a teaspoon. So, if you don’t have a kitchen scale, measure ¾ cup + 1 teaspoon of raw cashews.
As far as the yoghurt goes, I find plain soy yoghurt to have the most neutral taste. However, you could also try out other plain unsweetened plant yoghurts, i.e. almond, cashew or even coconut.
This vegan cheese is not intended to be exactly like the original mozzarella – especially in terms of melting. Instead, it’s a really simple yet delicious recipe requiring only a few common ingredients and basic skills.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Cheese
- Method: Blender
- Serving Size: 1/12 of recipe
- Calories: 54.4kcal
- Sodium: 54.7mg
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 2.4g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2.4g
Keywords: vegan mozzarella, vegan cheese