Soaking time: 2-3 hours
Rich and creamy homemade cashew yogurt without yogurt maker.
- First, soak the cashews for 2-3 hours. Feel free to soak them overnight, just be sure to place them in the fridge. Over soaking cashews can lead to bitterness, slimy water and a leaching of their flavour. For quick soaking, pour hot water over cashews and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Next, rinse and drain the soaked cashews, place them in blender or mixing beaker and pour lukewarm or slightly warm filtered water over them. Then, process until you have smooth mixture.
- Now, take a capsule with probiotic powder, empty it into the cashew cream and blend until the powder is well incorporated.
- Finally, transfer the cashew cream into clean 500ml jar and close the lid loosely. Alternatively, cover with clean cloth and fix with a rubber band. You’ll have some space in the jar for yogurt to rise as it ferments. Let it sit on countertop for 24 hours and then refrigerate. You’ll already see bubbles forming after 12 hours.
Check how potent your probiotic is to see whether you need 1 or 2 capsules. Use 40-50 billion in total.
You can use the same recipe with coconut milk (needs to be thick one).
In case you have a small household and you don’t consume tons of yogurts, make half of the recipe – simply divide all quantities in half and use one 500ml jar or container.
- Category: Side
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: International
- Serving Size: 2 tbsps. (1/20 of recipe)
- Calories: 83
- Sugar: 0.9
- Sodium: 1.8
- Fat: 6.6
- Saturated Fat: 1.2
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 4
- Fiber: 0.5
- Protein: 2.7
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: cashew yogurt