This baked tempeh in red wine marinade makes a perfect addition to your rice dishes and salad bowls. Furthermore, my oil-free marinated tempeh is a perfect high-protein vegan recipe to add to your menu.
Marinating time: 2-4 hours
- About 400g (14.1oz) of tempeh
- 4 tbsps. (60g, 1.8oz) unsalted tahini
- 3 tbsps. tamari
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika powder
- ½ tsp. ground or crushed black pepper
- 1 cup of dry red wine
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 2 tsps. of coconut nectar (optional)
- Start by thawing the tempeh, if you use frozen kind.
- Then, cut the tempeh into about 1.5cm (0.6inch) thick slices or strips. To remove the bitterness, place sliced tempeh in a saucepan and cover with water or vegetable broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and cook the tempeh for 10 minutes. Discard the liquid. Alternatively, steam the tempeh strips for the same amount of time.
- While the tempeh strips are cooling, prepare marinade. Start by mixing tahini and tamari sauce until well dissolved. Then, start adding the remaining liquids (wine and water) gradually to get homogeneous mix. For lump-free result, stir in the dry ingredients while the marinade still has paste-like consistency.
- Next, place tempeh strips into a container or other flat-bottomed dish that is big enough. Then, pour the marinade over tempeh pieces and place something heavy on them to allow the slices to drown in the marinade. I used a small container filled with water.
- Marinate the tempeh in fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Next, place the marinated tempeh strips on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 175°C (350°F) for 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven.
Add the tempeh to Buddha bowls, salad bowls or eat on a slice of bread or inside a burrito.
Store in fridge for 3-4 days or in freezer for 1 month.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 100gr
- Calories: 192 kcal
- Sodium: 9mg
- Fat: 10.8g
- Carbohydrates: 7.6g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 20.3g
Keywords: baked tempet, ride wine