This easy Mediterranean flavoured mushroom tomato sauce goes so well with al dente pasta or cooked rice and even serves as a dressing on top of Buddha bowls. Make a bigger batch and you’ll have delicious weekday meals in no time at all!
- 1 medium leek, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 450g (1 lbs) button mushrooms, diced
- 680g (1.5 lbs) unsalted tomato puree
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsps. dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- Himalayan salt (max ¼+⅛ tsp. for Plantricious version)
- Black pepper to taste
- 5 tbsps. coconut milk
- Start by preparing your veggies – slice mushrooms and chop celery, carrots and leek.
- Next, sauté mushrooms – heat up a few tablespoons of water in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the water starts to sizzle add sliced mushrooms and cover. Sauté them over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then, throw in chopped leek, carrots and celery. Stir, cover and sauté for another 5 minutes until the veggies are soft. Also, add water if necessary.
- Now it’s time to pour in the tomato puree along with ½ cup of water and dried oregano. Stir well, bring to boil and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Finally, add crushed garlic and coconut milk and season with salt and pepper.
Garnish with nutritional yeast, chopped basil, parsley, coriander and/or green onions. Should you be into spices, sprinkle on some red pepper flakes or chilli.
Fridge: 3-4 days
Freezer: 1 month
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1/4
- Calories: 170kCal
- Sodium: 167mg
- Fat: 4.2g (22.2% of kcal)
- Carbohydrates: 21g (49% of kcal)
- Fiber: 8.2g
- Protein: 7.2g (17% of kcal)