Here’s an absolutely delicious gluten-free plant-based dish for dinner tonight! Make a 30-minute hearty and creamy Indian flavoured vegan curry with chickpeas, potatoes and red beans.
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 medium or 3 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1.5 tsps. crushed cumin seeds
- 1.5 tsps. crushed mustard seeds
- 140g, 5oz (¾ + ⅛ cup) unsalted sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- 240g (8.5oz) unsalted chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 240g (8.5oz) unsalted red beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsps. coconut cream (or cashew sour cream)
- ¾ tsp. Himalayan salt (or less)
- Black pepper to taste
- Start by preparing the spices – toast cumin seeds (from 30 seconds to 1 minute until your nose just gets a whiff of smoke and fragrance) and mustard seeds (2-5 minutes until fragrant and lightly browned, removing from heat when the seeds start to pop) on a dry pan, let cool and crush using mortar and pestle. Or make a bigger batch and grind in a spice grinder.
- Next, heat up a few tablespoons of water in a skillet or large pan. After that, reduce heat; add onions and sauté them covered for 2-3 minutes stirring every now and then. Add water whenever necessary.
- Then, add the carrots, celery, potato cubes and turmeric; give everything a good stir and sauté on a medium heat until the veggies are tender, about 8 minutes. If you didn’t toast the spices, throw them (crushed) in along with turmeric. Again, add extra water if necessary.
- When the veggies are cooked, add chickpeas, beans and corn. If the stew is too dry, add a bit of water. Then, bring to boil and turn off the heat. For a more mushy result, take potato masher or fork and mash the stew until it has thickened to desired consistency.
- Finally, season with black pepper, Himalayan salt and fresh herbs like coriander, parsley and/or onion greens. Finish off with lemon juice or lime juice if you like to.
You’d get 15 GL points
- Category: Savoury
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1/5
- Calories: 206 kCal
- Fat: 3.6g (16% of kcal)
- Carbohydrates: 36.8g (71.6% of kcal)
- Fiber: 8.2g
- Protein: 9.4g (18% of kcal)