You’ll love this chocolaty recipe if you’re into vegan gluten-free pancakes made with sourdough. Besides being low-glycemic, dairy-free and egg-free, they are also light and fluffy and so easy to make.
- 4 heaped tbsps. (140g, 5oz) buckwheat sourdough
- 4 tbsps. (31g, 1.1oz) oat bran
- 2 tbsps. (14g, 0.5oz) ground chia seeds
- ¼ tsp. Himalayan salt
- 300g (0.6oz) of water
- 4 tbsps. (25g, 0.9oz) fat-reduced coconut flour
- 2 tbsps. (16g, 0.6oz) carob flour
- 2 tbsps. (12g, 0.4oz) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 heaped tbsps. (60g, 2.1oz) processed or grated raw cauliflower (optional)
- Start by making buckwheat sourdough. Follow my basic sourdough recipe. Begin making the sourdough about 24 hours before you plan to prepare the pancakes.
- Once the sourdough is ready, add four heaped tablespoons to a medium bowl with ground chia seeds, oat bran and Himalayan salt. Mix until you have a thick paste.
- Then, start adding water gradually. Finally, mix in all the remaining dry ingredients (coconut flour, carob, cocoa and cinnamon). Let the batter rest for 5-10 minutes to allow the chia seeds to expand.
- Grated or processed cauliflower is the last to join the crowd. Don’t worry, the batter is supposed to be quite thick. However, when you start frying and you find it too thick, add a few tablespoons of water.
- Next, add a few drops of coconut oil or avocado oil onto a good quality non-stick pan and swipe it off with folded kitchen paper. Let all the oil absorb into the paper and use it to swipe the pan clean between pancakes. Heat the pan up over medium heat.
- Now, if you make small pancakes, add one heaped tablespoon of batter into each cavity of your pancake pan. Should you make bigger pancakes, put a ladleful of batter onto the pan and even it out with a spoon/ladle or by shaking and/or tilting the pan to get the exact shape of your pan bottom. The frying time greatly depends on your stove. I flip it around when it is dry on top and also check the colour of the bottom side. I fry them for 5-6 minutes on one side and about 3 minutes on the other side. You’ll have about 12 small pancakes – depends on how much batter needs tasting ?
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: Sourdough takes 13-30h
- Method: Frying
- Serving Size: 1/12 of the recipe
- Calories: 47.2 kcal
- Sodium: 30.4mg
- Fat: 1.31g
- Carbohydrates: 5.3g
- Fiber: 3.23g
- Protein: 1.95g
Keywords: chocolate pancakes