You’ll love this baked vegan falafel recipe with canned chickpeas, if you’re into healthy oil-free plant-based treats. My simple falafel balls are full of flavour and have perfect consistency despite being gluten-free.
- 2 cans unsalted chickpeas, drain and rinse
- ½ cup (50g, 1.8oz) grated or processed raw cauliflower
- 1 tbsp. ground chia seeds
- 1 tsp. turmeric + 1 tsp. Indian spice mix (or 2 tsps. curry powder)
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt (or less)
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 small onion
- 2 medium or 3 small garlic cloves
- 3 tbsps. (45g, 1.6oz) water
- Handful of fresh parsley leaves
- Start by properly rinsing and draining canned chickpeas. Then, peel and roughly chop onion and garlic and grate or process raw cauliflower.
- Next, add the chickpeas, ground chia seeds, cauliflower, spices, Himalayan salt, black pepper, onion and garlic into food processor. Process until you have fine crumbs. Scrape sides whenever necessary.
- Finally, add water and fresh parsley. Process again, until you have homogeneous batter, but avoid mashing it up too much. Let the batter sit for 5 minutes to let chia seeds absorb water.
- Then, line baking sheet with parchment paper and start shaping about 40-gram (1.4oz) falafel balls with your hands. You’ll have 16 balls. Place them onto baking sheet and bake at 190°C (375°F) for 25 minutes + additional 5 minutes with fan on. Let cool a bit not to burn your mouth and let the flavours set.
One ball has 3.2 GL points.
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1/16 of recipe
- Calories: 108 kcal
- Sodium: 80mg
- Fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrates: 14.4g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Protein: 6.62g
Keywords: baked falafel ball