This vegan squash casserole recipe is a perfect comfort food that will enrich your dinners. It is also a great recipe for batch cooking – just double the recipe and store in fridge for easy weeknight meals.
- 1 big onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 680g (24oz) unsalted tomato puree + about ¼ cup water
- Himalayan salt and black pepper to taste (max 1/8 tsp. + a dash for Plantricious version)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 100g (3.5oz) cashews, soak
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- Himalayan salt to taste (max 1/8 tsp. for Plantricious version)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp. psyllium powder
- 80g (2.8oz) water
- 1 big summer squash
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 200g (7oz) firm tofu
- 160g (5.6oz) green olives
- Leaves from 3 basil stalks
- Soak cashews for at least 2 hours. Rinse and drain when you start making the cheese.
- Start with cutting your squashes longways into the length of your casserole dish. Cut about 1-1½ cm (0.4-0.6 inch) thick pieces. Place the squash slices on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle some Himalayan salt onto summer squash.
- Next, bake butternut squash at 200°C (390°F) for 25-30 minutes. Then, do the same with summer squash.
- While the squashes are baking, prepare tomato sauce. First, in a large skillet over medium heat, sauté chopped onion with a few tablespoons of water for about 3 minutes until the onion is transparent. Then, add tomato puree and oregano. Mix it all up, bring to boil and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Stir the sauce every now and then. Turn off the heat and add crushed garlic, salt, pepper, and stevia.
- When the tomato sauce is nicely simmering, chop olives and basil leaves and cut tofu into 12 slices.
- Then, prepare vegan cheese by blending all ingredients into smooth mixture. See tips below.
- Now, it’s time to assemble the casserole! Take a baking dish (I used 22×22 cm, 8.6×8.6 inch) and start layering. 1st layer: tomato sauce; 2nd layer: butternut slices; 3rd layer: tofu; 4th layer: cashew cheese; 5th layer: olives and basil; 6th layer: tomato sauce; 7th layer: zucchini slices; 8th layer: tofu; 9th layer: olives and basil; 10th layer: tomato sauce. Finish with cashew cheese. Check the video!
- Bake the squash casserole at 200°C (390°F) for 45-50 minutes until the cheese starts to turn golden brown. Let cool for at least 45-60 minutes before serving. The longer it cools, the tastier it gets!
One serving has 8.2 GL points
- Cook Time: 100 minutes
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: ⅙ of recipe
- Calories: 232 kcal
- Sodium: 216mg
- Fat: 10.3g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrates: 22.6g
- Fiber: 7.2g
- Protein: 11.3g
Keywords: vegan squash casserole