First, let me start by saying that those vegan buttermilk pancakes are the most delicious pancakes my hubby has ever had. At least this was what he said! By now I’ve made those lentil pancakes in many variations (different colours) and they’re all so fluffy and delicious!
Soak time: 4 hours
- 100g (3.5oz) red lentils, soak
- 80g (2.8oz) raw buckwheat groats, soaked overnight
- 50g (1.8oz) gluten free jumbo oats or oat flour
- ¼ + ⅛ tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsps. birch xylitol (or less or more)
- 2 tsps. psyllium husk powder
- 2 tsps. aluminium free baking powder
- First, soak split red lentils for at least an hour and raw buckwheat groats for at least 4 hours. Rinse and drain.
- Next, pour soy milk into a bowl and stir in 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to prepare buttermilk. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Then, put all the dry ingredients into a large bowl or blender.
- Stir soy yogurt into the buttermilk and transfer the wet ingredients into a bowl or blender of dry ingredients. Process using an immersion blender or regular blender until you have homogeneous pancake batter.
- Next, add a few drops of coconut oil or avocado oil onto a good quality non-stick pan and swipe it off with folded kitchen paper. Let all the oil absorb into the paper and use it to swipe the pan clean between pancakes. Heat the pan up over medium heat.
- Now, if you make small pancakes, add about 2 tablespoons of batter into each cavity of your pancake pan. Should you make bigger pancakes, put a ladleful of batter onto the pan and even it out with a spoon/ladle or by shaking and/or tilting the pan to get the exact shape of your pan bottom. The frying time greatly depends on your stove. I flip it around when it is dry on top and also check the colour of the bottom side. You’ll have about 26 small pancakes.
One pancake has 2 GL points.
P.S. If you use sweet topping, you might as well ditch the xylitol in the pancake batter.
- Method: Frying
- Serving Size: 1/26 of the recipe
- Calories: 43 kcal
- Sodium: 40.7mg
- Fat: 0.73g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 6.8g
- Fiber: 1.43g
- Protein: 2.2g
Keywords: vegan lentil pancakes