In Estonia we have a tradition to have buns with whipped cream on Shrove Tuesday. This year I came up with gluten free yeast free buns recipe because I can’t use yeast as leavening agent. Should you prefer traditional buns, go check out my spelt buns with yeast. Also, go read about Shrove Tuesday, Mardi Gras, Pancake Day from the same post.
- ½ cup (65g, 2.3oz) brown rice flour
- ½ cup (70g, 2.5oz) raw buckwheat flour
- 1½ cups (120g, 4.2oz) gluten free oat flour
- ½ cup + 2 tbsps. (60g, 2.1oz) oat flour (add later)
- ½ tsp. Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 3 tsps. aluminum-free baking powder
- 3 tsps. (11g, 0.4oz) psyllium husk powder
- First, add lukewarm soymilk to a bowl and mix in 1 tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar. Let sit until you need it (but at least 5-7 minutes).
- Then, measure rice, buckwheat and 1½ cups of oat flour and out in a bigger bowl. Also, add the remaining dry ingredients to the flour (except the flour to be added later) and mix well.
- By now, your soymilk looks like buttermilk. Add soy yogurt and stevia to it and stir. I used about 35 drops of liquid stevia.
- Pour the buttermilk into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix with spatula until homogeneous batter forms. It’s supposed to be quite sticky at this point.
- Next, prepare a surface for kneading in the rent of the flour or use a silicone rolling mat. Add the reminder of flour in the middle of the mat and spread it out a bit.
- With the help of the spatula, transfer the batter onto the spread flour. Gently flip it around and start kneading the flour into the dough.
- Form a tube and cut the dough into 8-10 pieces. Pat them between your palms to make nice buns (you may need some extra flour to prevent the dough sticking to your hands) and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the buns with some soymilk to lose the floury tops.
- Finally, bake the rolls at 200°C (390°F) for 20-22 minutes until golden brown.
One piece has 13.6 GL points.
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1/10 of recipe
- Calories: 131 kcal
- Fat: 2.49g
- Carbohydrates: 22.8g
- Fiber: 3.86g
- Protein: 5.61g
Keywords: gluten free yeast free buns