I’ve baked so many pancakes over the past few months that I felt I needed a change. As I also craved for something savoury I decided to bake vegan gluten-free potato waffles that are also Candida diet friendly and almost oil-free (just a little is used to grease the silicone waffle forms).
- 75g (2.6oz) raw buckwheat groats, soaked
- 75g (2.6oz) millet, soaked
- 80g (2.8oz) gluten-free jumbo oats
- 550g (19.4oz) water
- 1 tsp. dried garlic or 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp. onion flakes
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tbsps. ground flax seeds
- 35g (1.2oz) oil-free sundried tomatoes, soaked
- ¼ tsp. Himalayan salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tsps. low-sodium baking powder
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and grated (add later)
- Soak buckwheat and millet overnight. Wash and drain. The groats will absorb about 90g (3.2oz) of water.
- Pour hot water over sundried tomatoes. Let them soak for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 220°C (425°F).
- Slightly grease the oven waffle forms – use a cooking brush or just your finger. Remember, just a tiny bit is needed. Place waffle forms on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Finely grate potatoes. You’ll have 1 cup of grated potatoes.
- Drain and rinse the tomatoes, cut them into smaller pieces and add with all the other ingredients (EXCEPT potatoes) in blender and blend until homogeneous batter forms. Add liquid gradually.
- Finally mix in (don’t blend) grated potatoes. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Divide the batter between waffle forms using ladle.
- Bake waffles for 25 minutes, until you see they are quite firm and golden. Remove from oven and let cool for a bit. Then turn the waffles upside down on the baking sheet and let cool almost completely (about 20-30 minutes). When you touch the forms they should feel similar to your hand temperature. If they are too hot, it’ll be trickier to get them off nicely. Remove from silicone form. Bake the waffles for another 10 minutes until they start to turn golden.
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
- Calories: 157 kcal
- Sodium: 145mg
- Fat: 2.3g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 5.1g
Keywords: vegan potato waffles