I’ve made pumpkin stew with chickpeas, cauliflower, tomato sauce and spinach before, but never tried with just two main ingredients. I actually got inspired by the best vegan buffet I’ve ever encountered – Miobio Vegan Buffet in Valencia where we had several great lunches. On one occasion a deliciously sweet and hearty pumpkin-chickpea stew was served. I decided to recreate the dish at home, also making it oil-free.
- ½ of a big or one small onion, chopped
- 2 big garlic cloves, minced
- ½ butternut squash, which is about 3 cups of cubes (about 135g, 4.8oz a cup)
- 2 cans unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- A splash of coconut milk
- Sea salt or Himalayan salt to taste
- Sauté onion and garlic with a few tbsps. of water for 3 minutes.
- Add butternut squash cubes and chickpeas and enough water to cover the ingredients by ⅓ of the way up.
- Bring to boil and simmer covered for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- With an immerse blender, blend a few times directly in the pot to give the stew more thickness. You can also use potato smasher.
- Add a splash of coconut milk and salt to taste, stir and serve.
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Method: Sauté
Keywords: chickpea stew