The potato-barley sausages are not exclusively a holiday dish, but you can serve them at any occasion (or no occasion) whenever you feel like it.
- 24 rice papers
- 100g (0.22oz) barley
- 2 big potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 6 halves of sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 10 green or black olives, chopped
- 1 big onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsps. marjoram
- 1 tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. dried sage
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Black pepper to taste
- Sea salt or Himalayan salt to taste
MAKING THE STUFFING
- Soak barley overnight or all day and then boil for about 15 minutes until soft. Drain excess water and place in a bigger bowl.
- Cut potatoes into small cubes at place into bowl with barley. If you have organic potatoes don’t bother peeling them.
- Chop sun-dried tomatoes and olives into small pieces.
- Chop onion and mince garlic cloves. Sauté covered on pan with 2 tbsps. of water for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add water 1 tbsp. at a time if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Add marjoram, oregano, sage, cinnamon, tomatoes and olives to onions and garlic. Stir well and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Pour the herb-onion mixture into potato-barley bowl and stir well.
- Finally add sea salt and black pepper. Stir really well and taste. Add more salt and pepper if necessary.
ROLLING THE SAUSAGES AND BAKING
- Heat oven to 180 C (355 F).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take a bowl with warm water and soak a rice paper until it’s soft or follow the instructions on the package.
- Lay the soft rice paper on chopping board. Take 2 tbsps. of stuffing and place it almost in the middle of the paper (a bit closer to you). Fold the edge of the paper closest to you over the filling, fold in the sides, and then roll up tightly. Place on baking sheet. Repeat until you’ve finished the stuffing (or papers).
- Bake in the middle position for 20-25 minutes until the sausages are golden and crispy.
- Method: Baking
Keywords: vegan sausages