I could not have imagined putting beans into a brownie, the first time I stumbled upon a vegan brownie recipe with beans at Talia Fuhrman’s website two years ago. However, after trying it out, it became one of my favourite sweet treats.
- 13 dates
- Enough almond or other plant-based milk to cover the dates + 100g (3.5oz)
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 cans white beans, washed and drained
- 2 tbsps. peanut butter
- 2 tbsps. carob powder
- 2 tbsps. cacao powder
- 4 level tbsps. oat flour
- ½ tsp. sea salt (only if your beans come unsalted)
- ½ cup (about 2 handfuls) of cashews
- Enough water to cover cashews
- Juice of ⅓ of a lemon
- 1 tbsp. agave syrup
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- First, chop the dates and put them in a small bowl with enough milk to cover them. Let soak for at about 30 minutes.
- Next, add dates with soak milk + 100g of extra of milk, beans, bananas, peanut butter, carob powder and cacao powder (EXCEPT the oat flour) into blender and process until everything is blended, but still chunky (use a spoon for help).
- Remove half of the batter and put in a bowl. Now, process the half in the blender until nice and smooth. Then, pour the blended half into a bigger bowl.
- Now, put the half of the batter that you removed earlier back into blender and process until smooth. Add this to the big bowl and stir well with a spoon. Mix in 4 tbsps. of oat flour – be careful not to leave any flour chunks into the batter. You can also add 2 tbsps. of oat flour to one half of the batter and blend until well mixed and the remaining 2 tbsps. to the other half of the batter and blend again. Then, mix the two halves together.
- Heat your oven to 175°C (350°F). Line a round 24 cm (9.45 inch) baking tin with parchment paper, pour the batter in and bake for about 30-35 minutes, until you see cracks forming on top of the brownie. Let cool.
- Finally, to make cashew cream, throw all ingredients in a grinder (if you make bigger batch, use blender). Grind or blend until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a bowl and pour on a brownie slice or keep in fridge and spread on cooled brownie.
Nutritional value (1/6 of cashew cream): 87.8 kcal, 6.72g carbohydrates (30.6% of kcal), 5.89g fat (60.4% of kcal), and 1.97g protein (8.99% of kcal).
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1/16 of brownie
- Calories: 124 kcal
- Fat: 1.84g
- Carbohydrates: 22.4g
- Protein: 4.55g
Keywords: vegan brownies