These are not just ordinary tortillas, but bowls filled with hearty stew made of brown rice, lentils, and veggies.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 2tsp broth powder
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 smaller eggplant, chopped
- 50g (1.8oz) brown rice
- 100g (3.5oz) brown lentils
- 140g (5oz) canned corn (2 small cans, without added sugar)
- black pepper
- 3 whole grain tortillas
- Boil about a litre of water.
- Rinse and drain rice and lentils. Put aside.
- Heat a skillet. Add 2tbsp water. When it starts to sizzle, add onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and eggplant and sauté stirring on low heat for 5 minutes adding water 1tbsp at a time if necessary (to prevent sticking). Add broth powder and stir well. Pour in the rice and lentils. Stir well.
- Add enough hot water to cover the vegetables, rice and lentils. Simmer for as long as it takes to cook the rice and lentils. Stir occasionally and add water if necessary.
- At the end, stir in rinsed corn and mix well.
- While the stew is cooking, prepare your tortilla bowls. Heat oven to 200 C (390 F). Put a small bowl in the middle of tortilla. Fold the sides up following the shape of the bowl, and fix tightly with a thread. It is easier, if you have someone to help you. Remove the bowl. Place the bowl-shaped tortillas in the oven (ventilation mode) and bake until they are crisp and hold their shape. Remove from oven and put on a plate. Remove the threads and let cool.
- To finish the dish, just fill your tortilla bowls with the stew and garnish with herbs, black pepper and tomato slices.
- It’s a delight with nutritional yeast or with “Parmesan” made of cashews, sea salt and nutritional yeast!
- Serve with lots of green salad or steamed kale, chard or spinach.
- Method: Stewing & Baking
- Serving Size: 1 serving (tortilla + stew)
- Calories: 448 kcal
- Fat: 5.55g
- Carbohydrates: 83.1g
- Fiber: 12.5g
- Protein: 16.4g