If you need a nice comforting dish in a cold autumn evening then this risotto is for you! Topped with vegan Parmesan, it is just perfect!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2tsp dried sage
- 1tsp ground nutmeg
- Black pepper to taste
- up to ½ tsp. Himalayan salt
- 7oz (1.06 cup) or 200g (250ml) brown rice
- 7oz (1.06 cup) or 200g (250ml) brown lentils
- 3.8 cups (900ml) + 3-4tbsp water for sautéing
- 23oz (640g) pumpkin cubes (2.2lbs or 1 kilo of whole pumpkin)
- Wash and rinse rice and lentils. Put aside.
- Chop onion, mince garlic, and prepare pumpkin cubes. Put aside.
- Boil 3.8 cups water.
- Heat large skillet, add 2tbsp water and wait until it starts to sizzle. Add onions and sauté for 3 minutes. Then add garlic and sauté for another minute (adding water 1tbsp at a time when necessary to avoid sticking). Add sage and stir.
- Pour pumpkin cubes, rice, lentils and 600ml (about 2.5 cups) of water onto the skillet. Stir. Simmer covered and add water when previous one has disappeared. Stir occasionally.
- I used quick brown rice and 25-minute lentils taking me 35 minutes to get the risotto cooked. If you use 40-minute rice, it can take up to 50 minutes. Be aware not to over-cook the rice.
- In the end add black pepper, salt and nutmeg.
- I served it with steamed spinach (200g, 7oz per serving).
- Top the risotto with nutritional yeast or “Parmesan” made of cashews, nutritional yeast and sea salt.
- Method: Stovetop
- Serving Size: 1 serving (just risotto)
- Calories: 331 kcal
- Sodium: 227mg
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 50.6g
- Fiber: 14.5g
- Protein: 15g
Keywords: pumpkin-lentil risotto