I like bread a lot! Who doesn’t? However I do not want to eat gluten or yeast. I also know that one should eat fermented foods every day for gut health. Further, I am an absolute fermented buckwheat bread fan.
- Soak buckwheat groats for at least 6 hours. Rinse well and let drain for 2-5 minutes.
- Place buckwheat groats into blender with 290ml (1.23 cup) water. Blend until smooth batter forms.
- Pour the batter into plastic, ceramic or glass bowl (do not use metal bowl). Cover the bowl with clean cloth and place into a warm oven (30 Celsius, 86 F). Let the batter ferment for 12 hours.
- After 12 hours you’ll see that the batter has risen and small bubbles have formed.
- Now add all the other ingredients to this buckwheat bread recipe, gently and briefly stir with wooden or plastic spoon (do not use metal spoon). Do not over-mix as the batter will lose its fluffiness.
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Now, you can put the bread back into warm oven covered with cloth and let it rise for another few hours or even longer (I sometimes let it sit for a whole day) or you can bake it immediately for 45-50 minutes at 175 Celsius (350 F). Let it cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
Other combinations for flavouring: Goji berries and oregano; Sesame seeds, oregano; Walnuts, prunes, cinnamon; Raisins; Diced olives and sun-dried tomatoes; Poppy seeds, oregano, cinnamon, sunflower seeds.
- Method: Baking
Keywords: fermented buckwheat bread