Learn how to make low-fat black bean hummus with soybeans, chickpeas, mushrooms, herbs, and carrots. You’ll need 13 ingredients, a food processor, and 25 minutes of your time.
- 150g (5.3oz) raw carrots, cook
- 215g (7.6oz) raw button mushrooms
- 1 can (240g, 8.5oz) unsalted black beans
- 1 can (240g, 8.5oz) unsalted chickpeas
- 120g (4.2oz) cooked soybeans
- 1 tbsp. dried basil
- 1 tbsp. dried thyme
- ½ tbsp. dried oregano
- 2 tbsps. lemon juice
- 2 tbsps. dehydrated onion flakes
- 3 fresh garlic cloves
- 1 ½ tbsps. reduced sodium tamari
- 80g (2.8oz) store bought date paste OR homemade date paste (optional)
- Start with sautéing button mushrooms. For that, finely slice the mushrooms and throw them into a pot. Simply fry them dry, mixing occasionally. It will take about 5 minutes, but water starts to separate.
- At the same time, using another pan or pot, boil or steam sliced carrots for 5-10 minutes depending on the size of the disks.
- Next, let’s throw all the ingredients into a food processor: cooked soybeans (check out my video on how to cook soybeans at home), black beans, chickpeas, soaked dates or date paste, sautéed mushrooms, cooked carrots, raw garlic or garlic powder, onion flakes or powder, dried basil, oregano, thyme, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and tamari.
Process until well combined. It may take some time. Scrape the sides whenever necessary and process again.
Feel free to use 5 teaspoons of onion powder instead of onion flakes.
If you prefer garlic powder instead of fresh garlic, add about 3 teaspoons.
In case you don’t have date paste, take two Medjool dates, chop them and soak in about 3 ½ tablespoons of water. Then, add the soaked dates along with the water into food processor with the rest of the ingredients. Of course, date paste will combine much better into the hummus.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Food processor
- Serving Size: 1/10 of the recipe
- Calories: 124 kcal
- Sugar: 5.3g
- Sodium: 116.56mg
- Fat: 2.1g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 13.7g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: hummus, soybeans, black beans, mushrooms