Any fan of kale will enjoy this healthy and delicious massaged kale salad that is ready in under 30 minutes. Steamed and massaged kale paired with sweet potatoes and tempeh makes a filling and nourishing plant-based meal.
200g (7oz) raw kale, stems included
For the dressing:
- 1 tsp. reduced sodium tamari
- 1 tbsp. (15g, 0.53oz) dark miso paste
- 2 tbsps. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. Balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. horseradish powder or wasabi powder
- 1 tbsp. (15g, 0.53oz) tahini
- 3 tbsps. water
For the salad:
- 1 large sweet potato (about 205g, 7.2oz raw weight)
- 1 cup (70g, 2.5oz) of shredded red cabbage
- 80g (2.8oz) smoky tempeh
Make the dressing:
To prepare the dressing, blend all the dressing ingredients using a regular or an immersion blender. Alternatively, in a small bowl or a glass, mix everything together with a spoon.
Massaging the kale:
- Take the kale leaves and wash them under running water. Then, shake them dry or let drain in a colander.
- Next, chop kale. Start from the stems and slice them finely. When the stems are done, you can continue with coarser cuts for bite size pieces.
- Then, using a steaming basket, steam the chopped kale for about 3 minutes. It’s done when the kale has become of a nice bright green colour.
- Transfer the steamed kale into a large bowl and coat it with my miso tahini dressing. Start massaging the kale with clean hands or hand until it’s well mixed and diminished in size.
Compiling the salad:
- Next, cut your sweet potato into cubes and steam for 7-10 minutes until soft. Let cool.
- Now divide the massaged kale, sweet potato, shredded red cabbage, and tempeh cubes between two bowls, and serve immediately.
Feel free to use lemon juice instead of balsamic vinegar.
Substitute tahini with sunflower seed butter, almond butter, or cashew butter.
If you can’t have nutritional yeast, use shiro miso instead of dark miso paste to achieve the cheesy flavour. Also, use less water as nutritional yeast absorbs liquids.
Nutritional info per serving: 310.3 kcal, 28.5g carbohydrates (36.7% of kcal), 9g fats (26.1% of kcal), 1.35g saturated fats, 18.4g protein (23.7% of kcal), 13.3g fibre, and 873.4mg sodium.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Method: Stovetop
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the recipe
- Calories: 310.3 kcal
- Sodium: 873.4mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1.35g
- Carbohydrates: 28.5
- Fiber: 13.3g
- Protein: 18.4g
Keywords: kale, salad