Try those healthy oil-free Mediterranean flavoured gluten-free tortillas made with soaked buckwheat instead of flour. They bend well without breaking – perfect for making wraps, tacos, enchiladas or quesadillas.
Soak time: 4 – 6 hours
- Start by soaking buckwheat groats overnight or at least 4-6 hours.
- Now that you have the soaked buckwheat, rinse and drain it well before pouring into blender or mixing beaker.
- Next, add all the other ingredients (except tomatoes) and process the ingredients into smooth batter. Use regular or immersion blender.
- Finally, blend in the tomato halves – if you use the dry ones, soak them in hot water for 5-10 minutes. Whether you prefer them fully incorporated or with some chunks is up to you! Don’t leave too big chunks though as they’d stick out from your thin tortillas.
- Pour 1-2 tablespoons of batter (depending how large tortillas you want to make) onto hot non-stick pan and spread it out into as thin circle as you can.
- Once it’s cooked on top, flip the tortilla over and fry for another minute or so. Then, place the tortilla on cooling rack and repeat until the batter is finished.
- Swipe the pan clean with slightly oiled kitchen paper between the tortillas. You can use coconut oil, olive oil or avocado oil.
- Heat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Pour some batter on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and shape your tortillas with circular movements. How round-shaped you get them depends on your skills and practice.
- Bake them for 7-8 minutes and let cool before you try to separate them from the paper – you’ll need some patience, but they definitely come off in the end (check the video!).
One tortilla has 5.3 GL points.
- Method: Frying or Baking
- Serving Size: 1/14 of the recipe
- Calories: 55.4 kcal
- Sodium: 18.7mg
- Fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrates: 8.94g
- Fiber: 1.88g
- Protein: 2.36g
Keywords: gluten-free tortillas