The autumn can’t go by without trying this gluten-free vegan apple pie that will fill your kitchen with heavenly fall flavors. It’s an easy-to-make vegan pie recipe that even beginners can add to their repertoire.
- 100g (3.5oz) oat flour
- 100g (3.5oz) coconut flour
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ⅛ tsp. vanilla
- ⅛ cup psyllium husks + ½ cup water
- 250g (8.8oz) soymilk (additive-free) + 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsps. xylitol or erythritol (use date sugar for Plantricious version)
- About 4 big apples
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2½ tbsps. birch xylitol or erythritol (use date sugar for Plantricious version)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tbsp. mesquite flour
- 1½ tbsps. tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp. nut or seed butter (additive-free)
- ⅛ tsp. vanilla
- ⅛ tsp. cardamom (optional)
THE PIE CRUST
- First, mix psyllium husks with water and let sit for about 10 minutes. In a separate bowl, do the same with soy milk and apple cider vinegar.
- In a large bowl, mix together flours, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and vanilla.
- Next, dissolve xylitol and stevia in soymilk/ACV mixture.
- Pour the wet mixtures onto the dry ingredients and form a dough ball. It’s the easiest to use spatula.
- Refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes. You can also leave it in refrigerator overnight.
- Take a silicone mat, wax paper or non-stick parchment paper and place your dough ball in the middle. Now, put another piece of parchment or wax paper on top of the dough and start rolling. Roll the dough out into about 28×35 cm (11×13.8 inch) rectangle (or more like oval) and remove the parchment paper.
- First, slice the apples and gently mix them with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Then, stir in all the remaining filling ingredients. Again, be gentle not to mash the apple slices. Mix until the xylitol has dissolved.
ASSEMBLING THE APPLE PIE
- One-by-one start placing the apple slices onto the crust leaving about 4 cm (1½ inches) crust at the edge. You may follow any pattern you like. Spread the remaining liquid also onto the apple slices. Alternatively, chop the apples into smaller pieces and pour the filling mixture onto the crust. Gently fold the edges upwards.
- Finally, bake the apple pie at 190°C (375°F) for 45 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Let cool fro about 15 minutes before serving.
One slice has 12.4 GL points.
The below nutritional value is calculated with peanut butter and date sugar.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: ⅙ of the apple pie
- Calories: 284 kcal
- Sodium: 231.6mg
- Fat: 6.1g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2g
- Carbohydrates: 39.9g
- Fiber: 14g
- Protein: 7.5g
Keywords: apple pie, apples