Decadent and delicious homemade vegan chocolate candies that are a healthier sugar-free alternative to store-bought varieties.
- 100g (3.5oz) raw cocoa paste
- 50g (1.8oz, heaped ½ cup) of rolled oats
- 165g (5.8 fl. oz) of unsweetened oat or rice milk
- 30g (1oz) pureed coconut
- ¼ tsp. Himalayan salt
- 2 tsps. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. lucuma powder (see tips)
- 4 tbsps. carob powder
- 3 tbsps. xylitol or erythritol (use date sugar for Plantricious version)
- 35g (1.2oz) dried buckwheat sprouts (see method below)
- Goji berries to garnish (see tips)
- Pour milk over rolled oats and microwave briefly (about 375W), then stir and microwave again until they start to swell. However, don’t let them boil. Another option would be to let them soak for a few hours or overnight.
- Next, stir into oat mixture: salt, xylitol, cinnamon, lucuma, carob, and pureed coconut.
- Now, chop up cocoa mass and place it into a heatproof bowl. In order to melt it, bring water to a simmer in your saucepan. Then, turn off the heat. Next, set the heatproof bowl in the mouth of the pot, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the bottom of the saucepan. Stir cocoa mass as it softens. Make sure not to let even a drop of water to come in contact with your cocoa mass.
- Next step is to stir dried buckwheat sprouts into melted cocoa mass. Leave about 5g (0.2oz) for garnishing.
- Remove bowl from the heat and pour the oat mixture into cocoa mass mixing them up really well.
- Place the bowl onto kitchen scale and start shaping about 15g (0.5oz) candies – make them either ball or disc shaped. You might want to let the mass cool a bit before you start rolling the balls though.
- Garnish with goji berries (optional).
- Put the candies in the fridge for a couple of hours where they firm up. If you leave them on room temperature, they’ll be on the soft side.
One candy (about 15g, 0.5oz candy) has 1.74 GL points (given that you use xylitol or erythritol as sweetener).
The below nutritional data is calculated with oat milk and date sugar.
- Method: Raw
- Serving Size: 1 candy (about 15g, 0.5oz)
- Calories: 57 kcal
- Sodium: 24.8mg
- Fat: 2.9g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrates: 5.1g
- Fiber: 1.95g
- Protein: 1.2g
Keywords: vegan chocolate candies, homemade