For many of you pancakes are probably a must-have on Sunday mornings, even if you are on Candida diet, like myself. The good news is that you don’t have to give up the comforting traditions just because you have dietary restrictions or simply want to be healthy.
Soak time: 6 hours
- 150g (5.3oz) raw buckwheat groats
- 150g (5.3oz) oat bran
- 450g (16oz, 1.9 cups) water
- 350g (12.3oz, 1.4 cups) oat or rice milk
- 2 tbsps. ground flax seeds
- 2 tbsps. carob powder
- 3 tsps. cinnamon
- 2 tsps. dried ginger
- ¼ tsp. cardamom
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp. ground cloves
- Himalayan salt to taste (I put ½ tsp.)
- 60g (2.1oz, ½ cup) summer squash cubes
- 100g (3.5oz, about 1 cup) finely grated summer squash (add later)
- 100g (3.5oz, about 1 cup) finely grated butternut squash (add later)
- 1 medium carrot, finely grated (add later)
- Soak buckwheat groats overnight or at least for 6 hours. Rinse and drain.
- Add the rinsed groats along with other ingredients, EXCEPT grated veggies, into blender and blend until smooth and homogeneous batter forms.
- Taste and adjust by adding more spices/salt if necessary.
- Finally mix in finely grated veggies.
- Take a good non-stick pan free of Teflon and PFOA (Perfluorooctanoic Acid). Add a few drops of oil onto the pan and swipe it off with folded kitchen paper. Let all the oil absorb into the paper and use it to swipe the pan clean between pancakes.
- Put a ladleful of batter onto the pan and even it out with a spoon or by shaking and/or tilting the pan to get the exact shape of your pan bottom. The frying time greatly depends on your stove. I flip it around when it is almost dry and also check the colour of the bottom side.
- Method: Frying
Keywords: vegan pancakes