Here’s a deliciously spicy homemade tomato sauce recipe that is made from scratch using fresh tomatoes. It is an easy one-pot recipe that requires about 20 minutes of active preparation. Make a big batch of this divinely flavoured basic tomato sauce and you’re set for a week.
- 1.5 kilos tomatoes, chopped
- 1 big onion, chopped
- 2-cm piece of ginger, pealed and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tsps oregano
- 2 tsps diced rosemary leaves
- Pinch of chilly flakes
- Sea salt to taste (max 1/8 tsp for Plantricious version)
- 2 cups water
- 2 basil stalks with leaves
- 5 tbsps apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Stevia to taste (1 tbsp date sugar for Plantricious version)
- Place onion, ginger, garlic, oregano, rosemary and chilli flakes in a large pot. Add a few tablespoons of water and sauté for 5 minutes adding 1 tablespoon of water at a time to prevent sticking.
- Throw in the tomatoes and 2 cups (480ml) of water. Stir well and bring to boil. Let simmer on low heat without lid for 45 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat and add basil leaves and chopped stalks and blend until smooth using an immerse blender. Finally, add sea salt to taste, rice vinegar and agave syrup, mix well and let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Method: Sauté
- Serving Size: 1/10 of the recipe
- Calories: 41.5 kcal
- Sodium: 37.8mg
- Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Protein: 1.7g
Keywords: tomato sauce